About College Goal FAFSA
Arizona's College Goal FAFSA is a grant-funded statewide initiative that provides free information and professional assistance to Arizona students and families seeking college financial aid. The Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education has planned and coordinated the Initiative since 1996. The mission of CGS is to increase the number of first-generation college students entering postsecondary education.
The goals of College Goal FAFSA are:
- to assist families in filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and
- to provide appropriate and timely communication regarding student financial aid.
The target audience is low income, minority, and first generation college students and their families. There are two components to the initiative:
- the annual event and
- communication of student financial aid information.
The annual event provides Arizona's families access to financial aid professionals, counselors, and site staff on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in February. The event objective is to assist students and parents in completing and filing the FAFSA at a time that the greatest amount of financial aid is available. Each year the event dates are set in order to meet the early application filing deadlines of Arizona public universities.
The communication of financial aid information precedes and follows the event. The objectives of the communication plan includes informing students and families
- about the availability of financial aid,
- that the FAFSA is the single form that begins the process, and
- the deadlines for filing the FAFSA,
- the College Goal FAFSA website is a resource for information and online completion instructions.